8 Jan 2007

An Apology for the Life of Mr. Colley Cibber


You know, sir, I have often told you, that one time or other I should give the publick some memoirs of my own life; at which you have never fail'd to laugh, like a friend, without saying a word to dissuade me of it; concluding, I suppose, that such a wild thought could not possibly require a serious answer.

But you see I was in earnest. And now you will say, the world will find me, under my own hand, a weaker man than perhaps I may have pass'd for, even among my enemies. --

With all my heart! my enemies will then read me with pleasure, and you, perhaps, with envy, when you find that follies, without the reproach of guilt upon them, are not inconsistent with happiness.

-- But why make my follies publick? Why not? I have pass'd my time very pleasantly with them, and I don't recollect that they have ever been hurtful to any other man living.


Colley Cibber
actor; playwright;
manager of Theatre Royal, Drury Lane;
and Poet Laureate.
Novemb. 6, 1739

No comments: