1 Feb 2007

Stage Fright

When Charlotte first appeared on the stage, full of youthful exuberance, she "had no Concern at all" and mocked her fellow actors for their nerves.

Her sister-in-law, the actress Jane, rebuked her for her arrogance: "When you have stood as many Shocks as others have done, and are more acquainted with your Business, you'll possibly be more susceptible of Fear."

After a few years at her profession, now given lead roles ('capital parts'), Charlotte found that Jane's prophecy came to pass:

By this Time I began to FEEL I FEARED; and the [former] want of it was sufficiently paid home to me, in the Tremor of Spirits I suffered in such daring Attempts. However, Fortune was my Friend, and I escaped with Life; for I solemnly declare, that I expected to make an odd Figure in the Bills of Mortality --

DIED ONE, OF CAPITAL CHARACTERS

No comments: