29 May 2007

A Policeman's Job...

... is not an easy one:

Deposition of arresting officer to the court at the trial of the highwayman Edward Bonner, September 8th 1736.
Bonner's partner, William Wager (known as Cocky) had not yet been caught.
Bonner was condemned to death for assaulting Samuel Hasswel on the King's highway, putting him in fear, and stealing from him.

I serv'd the Warrant upon Bonner. I knew he was a desperate Fellow, so I got 2 or 3 to assist me. I took him at the Black-Spread-Eagle Alehouse in Paternoster-Row, on the Information of the Coachman. [I found him] in a dark Room, and 2 or 3 Women were with him.
We took him to Sir Richard Brocas's, but he not being ready, we had him to the Bull-head [Tavern] till the Alderman could give us a hearing.
He seem'd very uneasy, and I was uneasy too; while we were there, a lusty Carpenter - one of his Associates - and 2 or 3 more came in, and Bonner said to them, "have you brought Pistols and Hangers? If you have, fall to: fire, and away."
However, I got Bonner to Sir Richard's first, and because we cou'd not get the People there, he was to be re-examin'd; and when we got the Coachman and him together, that they might see one another, the Coachman said: "out of a thousand that is the Man, I remember his quick Speech."
Bonner was in his Butcher's Livery, and he asked the Coachman if he knew him: "Aye," says the Coachman, "if I had never seen you, I should have had no Trouble with you," then he described Wager; and Cocky is the most remarkable Man in the World.
From The Old Bailey Proceedings

No comments: