19 Jun 2007

'And all the men and women merely players'...

We are placed in this world, as in great theatre, where the sources and causes of every event are entirely concealed from us; nor have we either sufficient wisdom to foresee, or power to prevent those ills, with which we are continually threatened. We hang in perpetual suspence between life and death, health and sickness, plenty and want; which are distributed amongst the human species by secret and unknown causes, whose operation is oft unexpected, and always unaccountable.

David Hume, The Natural History of Religion (1757)

1 comment:

hm said...

I conceive nothing of the existence or essence of God. I understand nothing of the principles and first causes of this universe; I do not know what matter is, nor space, movement and time: all of these things are incomprehensible for me. I know that the idea of my existence and the desire for my wellbeing are inseparable; I know that nature has attached me to these two things by invincible chains; I know that reason often tells me to hate, to despise life, and that nature always forces me to hold onto it. I know that nature has impressed within my heart the love of order, and of justice, which makes me prefer constantly the tranquility of conscience to the most useful crime."

Friedrich Melchior, Baron von Grimm
1723 - 1807